Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Losing Emma...

We have an amazing little dog. She is a rat terrier named Emma. Emma is just a joy to have in our family. She is the best tempered animal I have ever met. Unfortunately, I have come to realize I am just not cut out to be a dog owner. Not right now. The kids are still too young to really help and the mom, well, the mom is just too busy to take on another child. Emma is wonderful and I hate to lose her, but it is time for her to go.

Destiny begged for a dog. She wanted her so badly. Shortly after Destiny's birthday, Emma joined our family. She has been a wonderful addition, but very quickly Destiny tired of caring for the dog. Lately, Emma has been making accidents by the door. This is not the dog's fault, it is the humans' fault. She tries to give queue's that she has to go to the bathroom, but because it is cold - Destiny does not want to take her for a walk. This poor dog is stuck in the house all day long. The kids are even getting sick of playing with her. At first, she was like a brand new toy. Everyone wanted to care for her and play with her, now they treat her as if she is a pest. This poor little puppy doesn't deserve that. I am simply spread too thin, and I cannot show her the attention she deserves.

I think I found the perfect home for Emma. I will be taking her to meet her potential family tomorrow. This is such a bittersweet moment for me. It is GOOD because Emmy really deserves the best. She has been very well loved...and she deserves to have an owner who can dedicate the time she needs to her. It is sad because I love her so very much. Selfishly, I just want to keep her...eventhough I know that is not the best for her. What do ya do!? The puppy doesn't deserve to suffer because the humans enjoy her presence!

Emma is only the second dog I have ever owned. We did not keep the first dog either. He was nowhere near as well tempered and mild mannered as Miss Emma. He refused to go to the bathroom outdoors. He would spend hours running around outside and go to the bathroom as soon as he got in the house. When we were presented with the opportunity to have Emma, I was really skeptical because of my previous experience with Beni. Once I met this sweet little girl, my heart melted and I knew she belonged in our family. I wish that I could generate more time to spend with her. I wish that I could motivate the kids to want to help with her. The sad reality is that is just not realistic at this time. The better part of me says I need to let her go.

I will escort Emma to her potential family's home at 10am tomorrow. I will introduce Emma and hopefully things will just fall into place. From everything I have learned, I know that Emma will be perfectly loved and cared for in this home. I will miss her something terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment